For Maple Syrup Apples:
• 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
• 3 large Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
• 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
• 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
• 1 large egg
• 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• Additional unsalted butter
• Additional pure maple syrup
• For maple syrup apples:
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and 1 tablespoon maple syrup; sauté until apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup and cinnamon.
• For pancakes:
Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl; whisk to blend. Whisk buttermilk, yogurt, and egg in medium bowl to blend; add to dry ingredients and stir until just blended but still lumpy. Gently mix in 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter.
• Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spread thin coating of butter over griddle and let melt. Working in batches, drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle, spacing apart. Cook pancakes until brown on bottom and bubbles form on top, about 3 minutes. Turn pancakes over and cook until bottoms are brown and pancakes are barely firm to touch. Transfer to plates. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter to griddle as needed.
• Spoon apples over pancakes. Serve, passing additional maple syrup.